We are 10 years old!
Posted by SBCSA, 7 January 2016
It is hard to believe that the SBCSA is now 10 years old. It seems like it was just the other day when we were nothing more than an idea. In reflecting over the past 10 years, we are very proud of our accomplishments which include:
- We went from 11 known swims pre-2006 to 116 successful today (88 solos and 28 relays).
- We have a perfect safety record.
- We established a dedicated, swimmer-focused, volunteer board of 9 marathon swimmers who care deeply about traditional marathon swimming.
- We have had 14 “Firsts.”
- We have had 18 solo time records and 13 age records.
- We became the first marathon swimming organization to adopt and enforce an environmental policy.
- We became the first marathon swimming organization to specifically prohibit drafting off the escort boat.
- We became one of the first marathon swimming organizations to implement online applications.
- We embraced the Marathon Swimmers Federation in their efforts to cultivate the global community of marathon swimmers, and unite them around common standards.
- We developed tracking software to give spectators immediate online information regarding current swims.
- We developed a comprehensive observer compensation program based on estimated average time on the water to fairly remunerate our observers.
- We have evolved our observer pool from 3 in 2006 to almost 50.
- We have partnered with the CCSF in conducting Southern California based observer trainings and coordinating our annual banquets on the same day.
- We worked closely with local filmmakers who produced the marathon swim movie called “Driven” based on 3 swims which occurred in SBCSA waters.
- We started a lifetime membership program which is currently 46 members strong.
- We purchased two complete observer kits with AEDs.
- We have financially supported the IMSHOF, Element productions, Swim for Hope, Santa Barbara Channel Keeper, Environmental defense center and Santa Barbara Marine Mammal Center.
- We developed an informative and comprehensive website that helps marathon swimmers in researching, training and successfully executing their endeavor.
- We produced a marketing video called Santa Barbara Solo.
- We have consistently and steadfastly promoted, to fellow marathon swimmers and the non-swimming public, the traditional 140 year old rules of marathon swimming.
If it sounds like we are boasting a little, you are correct. Our goal from Day One was to build a safe, customer friendly product for marathon swimmers around the world. We think we have succeeded. We hope you agree.
Happy New Year from the SBCSA
Wishing our friends, families, swimmers, observers, lifetime members and pilots a joyous holiday with peace, love prosperity and best wishes for a healthy New Year!
May your arms and legs stay faithful May your core remain strong and warm May the New Year bring channels that are peaceful May success be your norm
Our 7 Channel Islands
Did You Know?
The world’s most complete pygmy mammoth specimen was discovered on Santa Rosa Island in 1994. These miniature mammoths, only four to six feet tall, once roamed the island’s grasslands.