May Newsletter and 2017 Swim Lineup
Posted by Evan Morrison, 18 May 2017
On behalf of the SBCSA Board – happy spring, and thanks for reading our newsletter. We hope you’re enjoying the warming water temps (apologies to our southern hemisphere friends), and getting excited about another season of epic marathon swims in the California Channel Islands!
This is the SBCSA’s 12th year sanctioning, supporting, and documenting channel swims, circumnavigations, and “island hopper” swims in Southern California. Since our founding in 2006 we’ve sanctioned 95 successful solo swims and 27 relays, involving all eight Channel Islands. We’ve authenticated an additional 15 historical swims (8 solos and 7 relays).
2017 Swim Lineup
We’re stoked to announce the following swimmers will be undertaking SBCSA-sanctioned marathon swims this season. Please join us in wishing them well with their training.
- June 23: Amy Appelhans Gubser - Oxnard to Anacapa Island
- July 11: Arch Academy Zombies (two teams) - San Miguel Island circumnavigation
- August 31: Michael Marcum - Anacapa Island to Oxnard
- September 15: Karina Garcia - Anacapa Island to Oxnard
- September 17: Alice Ma - Anacapa Island to Oxnard
- September 18-19: Jim Cherry - Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard
- September 18-19: Rachel Horn - Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard
- September 18-19: Tom Ball - Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard
- September 22: Gary O’Grady - Anacapa Island to Oxnard
- September 26: Dan Simonelli - multi-inter-island
Early Bird Sanction Applications - last chance!
If you’re planning to swim a SBCSA-sanctioned route this year, you have until Sunday, May 21 to take advantage of our discounted sanction fees. Standard fees apply from May 22 through the end of the season.
Fill out our online application - solo or relay - at santabarbarachannelswim.org/apply.
New Lifetime Member: Alice Ma
The SBCSA welcomes Alice Ma as a new Lifetime Member. Alice is a South End Rowing Club (San Francisco) member who will be swimming from Anacapa Island to Oxnard in September.
As a lifetime member, Alice receives discounted sanction fees on this swim, and every other solo or relay swim she ever does with the SBCSA – for life! Thank you to Alice for supporting the SBCSA and marathon swimming in the Channel Islands.
For more information about Lifetime Memberships, see santabarbarachannelswim.org/lifetime.